If you’re on the hunt for the best crossbow under $800 we can help get you pointed in the right direction with some of our top-rated staff picks listed below.
A top-quality hunting crossbow in the $800 range will be plenty powerful to harvest a wide variety of big and small game animals.
From rabbits and gobblers all the way up to deer, elk, moose and bear can all be taken down with these crossbows. Assuming you hit them in the vitals of course!
Best Crossbows Under $800: What To Expect
Most crossbows in this price range will push the 400 FPS speed mark with many models featuring draw assist devices such as hand cranks that make cocking the weapon a lot easier, especially when hunting in small ground blinds or hang-on style treestands where too much movement can be hampered and unsafe.
Any of these best crossbows under $800 aren’t going to ship with top-tier optics, but they should be much better than a lot of the throwaway scopes seen on less expensive models.
And even if you end up not liking the scope on a particular crossbow you can always punt it and pony up some cash for better optics with increased low light hunting performance and higher quality glass providing a clearer sight picture.
Pro Picks: Best Crossbows Under $800Wicked Ridge Invader X4 Crossbow
The Wicked Ridge Invader X4 Crossbow features 4S cams that shoot a blazing 360 feet-per-second with pinpoint accuracy. Lightweight and narrow 15″ wide for added maneuverability and ease of use.
All the latest features, including ACUdraw integrated self-retracting rope cocking device that reduces draw weight by 50%.
The Invader X4 features a compact 8.5-inches long multi-line scope, allowing you to choose between a 20, 30, and 40-yard setting as well as a 50-yard setting when shooting at longer distances.
Invader includes Instant-Detach 3 Arrow Quiver and three aluminum arrows that make it perfect for small spaces, quick backcountry hunts, and for beginners.
- Lightweight, speed inspired crossbow.
- Its Length is 36.5″ and its Width is 15″ (Cocked)
- A 6.3 lbs. crossbow having a draw weight of 165 lbs
- Equipped with an ACUdraw integrated self-retracting rope cocking device that reduces draw weight by 50%.
- Shoots arrows at the velocity of 360 FPS (feet per second) and 107 fpe kinetic energy for powerful knockdown
- Compact 8.5-inches long multi-line Scope, calibrated for a 20, 30, and 40-yard setting as well as a 50 yard
- Ships with Instant-Detach 3 Arrow Quiver and three aluminum arrows
The Invader 400 is Wicked Ridge’s most powerful and fastest shooting crossbow and a huge leap forward in crossbow speed, accuracy, and performance.
This premium crossbow features a built-in ACUDRAW Cocking Device that reduces the draw weight of the crossbow by 50%.
With a peak draw weight of 185 pounds, the Invader 400 crossbow shoots an arrow at a blistering speed of 400 FPS, 40 feet per second faster than its predecessor.
Its Pro-View 3x Scope offers maximum accuracy and a crisp sight picture. Fully coated optics produce clear yet vibrant sights.
- A powerful and fastest shooting crossbow.
- Its Length is 35.5″ and Width (axle-to-axle) is 15″ (Cocked), and 19″ (Uncocked)
- A 6 lbs. crossbow having a draw weight of 185 lbs
- Built-in ACUDRAW Cocking Device reduces draw-weight by 50%
- Shoots arrows at the velocity of 400 FPS, 40 feet per second faster than the previous model
- ProView 3x Scope features three crosshairs and four dots calibrated for up to 50 yards
- Comes with a quiver and 3 XX75 arrows in the package
Features 3 crosshairs and four dots calibrated for up to 50 yards, perfect for targeting. At only 15.5′ long and 35′ wide, it rides in vehicles easily and maneuvers into tight places.
The Wicked Ridge Invader 400 comes with a quiver and 3 XX75 arrows in the package. All these features make it perfectly designed for any hunter
The HyperTac 420 Crossbow Package – A newly designed compact crossbow is one of the most maneuverable bows ever designed by Barnett Crossbows, the most trusted name in crossbows since 1952.
This crossbow is the most compact, high-performance crossbow in its class. Shooting at 420 feet per second (FPS), it’s a deadly weapon that will put you on top of your game.
A newly designed and ultra-compact riser assembly paired with the tactical style adjustable buttstock makes it a more compact and maneuverable crossbow.
The three 22 inches arrows come with field points that are designed to penetrate even under extreme weather conditions.
- A compact high-performance crossbow.
- Its Length is 35.9″ and Width (axle-to-axle) is 18.75″ (Cocked), and 9.1875″ (Uncocked)
- A 7.9 lbs. crossbow having a draw weight of 215 lbs
- Equipped with an integrated self-retracting rope cocking device that reduces draw weight by 50%.
- Shoots arrows at the velocity of 420 FPS (feet per second) and 149 fpe kinetic energy for powerful knockdown
- Ultra-compact riser assembly paired with the tactical style adjustable buttstock
- The crossbow comes with the soft-lok floating bristle arrow retainer along with a trigger lock system, a crossfire cable guard, and an anti-dry fire (ADF) trigger system.
- It comes with Three 22″ Hyper Flite Arrows, Halo 1. 5 – 5 x 32 mm Illuminated, Speed Compensating Scope, Premium Side-Mount Quiver, Rope Crank Cocking Device, and Lube Wax.
For protection, the crossbow comes with the soft-lok floating bristle arrow retainer along with a trigger lock system, a crossfire cable guard, and an anti-dry fire (ADF) trigger system that eliminates dry fires when not cocked. The safety features and compare size makes this Barnett one of the best crossbows under $800 for hunters of all sizes.
It comes with Three 22″ Hyper Flite Arrows, Halo 1. 5 – 5 x 32 mm Illuminated, Speed Compensating Scope, Premium Side-Mount Quiver, Rope Crank Cocking Device, and Lube Wax.
The Covert CX-3 SL+ is a compact, powerful crossbow that provides archers superior accuracy, speed, and convenience.
From the moment you shoulder it, you have the absolute confidence to make your best shot. Typically, the smaller the crossbow, the slower it shoots.
And the more powerful the crossbow is, the bigger and heavier it is. The new Covert CX-3SL+ changes that. At just seven pounds, it has just the right amount of weight to aim steady and stalk without getting fatigued.
The lightweight but durable billet aluminum CNC riser is paired with a slim-line bow design for an aggressive look. A modular Picatinny rail mounting system makes it easy to add accessories.
- A compact, powerful crossbow that provides archers superior accuracy
- Durable billet aluminum CNC riser is paired with a slim-line bow design for an aggressive look
- Its Length is 34.25 ″ and Width is 13.5″ (Cocked), 17″ (Uncocked)
- A 7lbs. crossbow having a draw weight of 175 lbs
- Equipped with a lightweight, compact silent crank that causes an 80% reduction in draw weight
- Shoots arrows at the velocity of 355 FPS (feet per second) and 119 fpe kinetic energy for powerful knockdown
- Modular Picatinny mounting system with folding foregrip
- Anti-Dry Fire with no creep trigger, 4×32 deluxe multi-reticle dually illuminated (green/red) Scope for varying light conditions
A CNC machined components and an anti-dry fire mechanism ensure reliable fire, and no creep trigger lets you achieve a clean break at a pull weight of just 3.5 pounds.
What is so great about the Carbon Express Covert CX-3 SL+ Crossbow is that it can deliver bolts at 119 feet per second and 355 feet per second accurately and precisely with the speed and power that no other compact crossbow has.
It is designed for tight grouping for accuracy. The dimensions of this crossbow are just 34.24 long by 13.5 inches wide, fully cocked.
The Barnett Assault compound crossbow is ideal for beginner to intermediate archers. Each one arrives mostly assembled, saving you time when setting up to shoot.
It has a 165-pound draw weight and fires arrows at up to 350 feet per second. Not the fastest but still a solid choice for folks lookingfor the best crossbow under $800 for hunting deer.
- A compact, and powerful crossbow that provides archers superior accuracy
- Durable billet aluminum CNC riser is paired with a slim-line bow design for an aggressive look
- Its Length is 34. 25″ and Width is 16. 125″ (axle to axle)
- A 6. 4lbs. crossbow having a draw weight of 165 lbs
- Shoots arrows at the velocity of 350 FPS (feet per second)
- Anti-Dry Fire with above grip finger guard
- It comes with 4×32 mm multi-reticle Scope, a lightweight quiver, a rope cocking device, and lube wax.
This model also includes Barnett’s TriggerTech Frictionless Release Technology Trigger, which allows for a smooth, accurate shot every time.
When you buy the Barnett Assault xbow, you also get an adjustable 4×32 millimeter scope with Multi-Reticle, a lightweight polycarbonate quiver for up to four arrows, a rope cocking device, and lube wax.
Durability Of The Best Crossbows Under $800
To most folks, $800 for a crossbow is a lot of money. The good news is that 800 dollars is going to buy you a high-quality unit with a machined riser engineered to reduce vibration and add life to the limbs.
Durability is key with any hunting weapon, and crossbows are no exception. Crossbows have a lot of moving parts. Especially compound crossbows with cams and cables that rotate and slide when the weapon is drawn and fired. Factor in the tremendous force these components are under at full draw and it quickly becomes obvious that high-quality parts are key for any xbow to stand the test of time.
The top crossbow models we highlight in this article aren’t going to set the world on fire speed-wise, but they are all extremely well built to shoot accurately time and time again without worry of cheap parts failing or breaking under normal shooting circumstances.
These best crossbows under $800 are built on tried and true riser platforms that for the most part have been proven to produce results after many years of use.
This is a good thing as it allows you to buy with the confidence of knowing your hunting crossbow will perform well and retain its value over time.
So when it comes time to upgrade in the future you can rest assured you will get good money on the used market for any of these crossbows.
Parts are also readily available for all of these crossbows, making any repairs or replacement of worn parts relatively easy.